Monday, March 13, 2017

My Story and Review, of Getting a Pet at the Oregon Humane Society

I will talk about how we got our new dog (Missy). I will share my experience with you.

  
Picking a pet:
We got Missy at the Oregon Humane Society (OHS). We knew we wanted a small lap dog, just like my previous dog (Sadie).

You can just go and look at all the different animals at the shelter if you want. Internet is so handy for everything now-a-days. Almost everyone has a website four there business. So we looked online at OHS. We saw all the animals. It is easier and faster, I think to look at home first, and narrow it down to one or two animals you want to go see. Then go see them.



My story:

 
    Sadie was a small black dog. She loved to be held. she was almost always cold, she would get up by the wood fireplace even in her old age.

   She was  a spoiled little baby of a dog. Everyone was extremely sad when she died she was part of the family (at some point every pet is not just a pet anymore but family.) She lived a long life though 15 years, and she got to die a natural death, of old age.


   When Sadie was about 10 we got another dog, named Reuben. Sadie rejected him at first but after a while they became best of friends.
                                            Sadie                    Reuben             Sadie + Reuben


  
   Then we got A new dog Missy, After Sadie died. We were Vary worried about how Reuben would react to the new dog. He had waited in the car with my mom and brother, while My dad and me where in the shelter. We had got Reuben from a shelter setting too and did not want to subject him to that.
   My brother was holding him and when we started to come out with Missy, my mom took Reuben in the front seat with her. Which was good, because there was a totally opposite reaction than we expected. He was panting and pulling trying to get back to Missy. He welcomed Missy Full heartedly.


Missy



   We got Missy from the Oregon Humane Society. We went online and looked at all the dog first And we saw Missy. We went to look at her, and we came home with her. They do not just have dogs though. They have cats, Small animals such as rabbits, birds and hamsters. Even farm animals. And obviously dogs. 







So we went to the Oregon Humane Society, me and my dad were walking in. He went to grab my hand, to walk me in (as he did when I was a little girl.....didn't bother me ☺). He promptly lets go and said "oh I guess your not a little girl any more, don't want to embers you" So we walked in side-by-side. My purse around my neck and me feeling quite like a lady.
   We waked up to the front desk, we were greeted by a lady. We said we want to see Missy, she knew exactly which dog we were talking about.
   The lady gave us some papers to fill out, and a disc that flashed when it was our turn. So we waited and wandered a bit. And then it finally flashed. A guy went back with us, he asked us what we were we looking for. My father answered "my daughters dog died a few months ago so, a small lap dog."
   We went back to a private room to interact with Missy. There must have been 3 or 4 of them, maybe more. These rooms were the size of a medium sized bedroom.
   Missy came in the room, I was petting and talking to her. The man and my dad were talking about Missy, her health, and everything the care takers there had observed.
    We said we would take her home. We had to go wait some more, we got another flasher that would flash when it was our turn to go back again. We got too look in a cat room, it had no cats though only a toy that kept twirling automatically every few minuets.
   Our thing flashed and the man came out again. We went back to a room with a bunch of desks with computers. We went over Missy's history and health once more and filed out some papers. We picked up a leash for Missy at the little store they have inside. Finally Missy came out! The man had her on a leash, and he brought her out to the car. 

  These animal need a home. Some of them might have been abandon, miss treated or the owner just can't take care of them any more. They could be under weight, if they have been on the streets. Most of them will be slow to warm up to you, and maybe a little skittish at first, because all of them have been abandon in some way if it was being left out on the streets, or just being dropt off at the shelter. ( I know it must be very hard for the owners too, if they have to do that, but a shelter is better than the streets.)
    So if your looking for an pet. Adoption from a shelter is a greate way to go.
 Missy was scared at first, that we were going to leave her. She has adjusted pretty good now (and faster than I thought she would.) She is a very good dog! Very hipper! She love too go in the car and for walks. We love her. Reuben and her are the best of friends now!



Missy had a Sister too I don't know if it was her true sister from birth or if it was like Reuben and Missy are brother and sister because the live together.
   The sister was still there when we took Missy. Later my mom and dad looked at the adopted pets and saw that her sister was adopted the next day! I was so happy!
   The man that helped us all the way though the proses, was most helpful. We got all of Missy's paper work sent to us by e-mail.

If you don't want to adopt there are many other ways to help pets in need:


Fostering a Pet Q+A

Foster a Pet

Get Involved volunteer Foster Care

Donate

Donate or Adopt

Donate, Adopt or Volunteer

Help the Blind, Donate or Raise a Puppy




Please feel free to leave a comment.

Did you like this articl?
Did it help you?
Do you have a pet?

😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...