Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Butterfly Journal...(Stage three)

Last time I left off I had hung the chrysalides (cocoons) in the butterfly cage and was waiting for them to hatch.

Now they have all hatched (inside of one week) and they are beautiful . I feed them every day too every other day depending on how much they ate the previous day or how dried up the food is. You can either feed them oranges or sugar water. I fed them oranges most of the time just because we had stocked up on them just for that reason. 

It was quite a job to keep our cat away from the butterflies. As any cat would be she was quite intrigued at those moving things.

I hope you will keep following me as I continue my journal. I will be posting my next and last stage to "My Butterfly Journal "I think it will be quite thrilling.  

FOOD

Give 1-2 slices of oranges everyday or every other day or when they become dry.

Put sugar water in fresh flowers or if you do not have fresh flowers you can soak cotton balls in it and put them on a paper plate.

RECIPE FOR SUGAR WATER:

Put three teaspoons of sugar into a cup with water.



 Photos:






                                                          Cat watching butterflies.




           This red stuff is what they release when they come out of they're chrysalides (cocoon). It is not blood.
                                     This is the old chrysalides (cocoons) after the butterflies hatched.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...